The Management System Readiness Assessment©
There are a number of excellent management systems available. Before you “take the plunge” on implementing one, consider whether your organization and your leadership team are ready to gain maximum value from such a system
This simple questionnaire should take less than 15 minutes to complete. Scoring guide at the end. It’s designed for CEO’s, but could be useful for any leadership team member.
Record a simple “Yes” or “No” answer for each question. Just write the answer to the left of the question number. If the answer is uncertain, it is a “No.” Note that “LT” is an abbreviation for Leadership Team.
- Does your company have a formally identified Leadership Team (LT) of 4 or more individuals?
- Are there clear and distinct areas of responsibility for each LT member? Are there formal job descriptions and comp plans for each LT member?
- Are those LT members incented to achieve company goals as well as individual goals?
- Is the entire LT, including the CEO, willing to invest 1 to 2 hours per week in a LT meeting, following a structured agenda? [This meeting can be in-person or virtual.]
- Is the LT willing to dive into a critical issue each week, identify the underlying cause, consider a range of potential actions, then decide on specific actions, time frames, and responsible individuals?
- Is the LT willing to invest one full day each quarter working “on” the business, rather than “in” the business, evaluating progress against quarterly goals and setting the next round of goals?
- Is the CEO willing to learn and adapt along with all other LT members?
- Is the CEO willing to have open & honest confidential discussions with the entire LT, even on very sensitive topics such as personnel and finances?
- Is the CEO and LT willing to consider changes in your leadership if the MOS process clearly indicates the need for such changes?
- Is the CEO and all LT members willing to adopt proven processes and tools without “customizing” it for your company?
- Are the owner, CEO, and Board of Directors willing to share key financials from your income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statement with the entire leadership team on a regular basis?
- Is the CEO willing to carefully listen to and thoughtfully consider all thoughtful and serious suggestions from LT members? Even when he or she disagrees?
- Is the CEO willing to grant the LT a substantial voice in key decisions, reserving CEO “veto” power for very selective use?
- Is ownership and the CEO willing to consider significant structural, strategy, and operational changes if careful analysis, thorough debate, and consideration of alternatives yields substantial majority support for them? [Note: Full consensus of the leadership team is not required.]
- Is the CEO willing to hold himself/herself and all members of the leadership team accountable when commitments are not met? [Note: This includes family members, part-owners, and long-time colleagues.]
Scoring Your Management System Readiness Assessment
Tally up the “Yes” and “No” answers. A “partial yes” is a “No.” The number of “Yes” answers is equal to a point score.
12 or more points – This organization is a good fit for a management system.
9-12 points – This organization MAY be a good fit for a management system, but should consider the “No” replies.
0-8 points – This organization is not ready for a management system at this time.
© 2018 Opportunity into Revenue, LLC. All rights reserved. Used by Normandale Community College, Bloomington, MN, with permission.
Where does your Management System need help?
Contact us to schedule a 30-minute phone call to discuss your goals.